I love the recipe book Loaves, Cakes and Quiches with Friends by Ilona. Practically any savory ingredient you have in your kitchen can be mixed and matched and baked into delicious loaves for brunch or snacks. I tweaked the recipe a little bit, substituting cheese for capers. I added a sprinkling of bacon bits for a richer, rounder flavor.
Sun-dried Tomato, Cheese and Basil Loaf
- 200 grams all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 100 ml olive oil
- 100 ml milk
- 3 1/2 oz cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped bacon
- large handful of resh basil, torn into small pieces or snipped with scissor
- salt and black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease a loaf tin and slightly dust with flour.
2. In a large bowl, mix the flour and baking powder. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture and fold mixture and fold in gently until there are no more lumps. Stir in the grated cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, bacon bits and basil. Mix well.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for about 45 minutes, until the tip of the knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out.