Sweet as Sugar Cookies has a wonderful cinnamon bread/cake recipe that's worth a try. It's a swirly, dense crumbed cake that's perfect for tea or coffee. I love cinnamon but I halved the original cinnamon sugar topping recipe which calls for one cup of brown sugar and 2 tablespoon sugar. I am apparently partial to subtly sweet, aromatic breads and cakes.
If you love cinnamon try some of the recipes in my tried and tested recipe box archive. Mexican Hot Chocolate Cookie is a Martha Stewart recipe that has a lively kick of chili and hint of cinnamon. Overnight cinnamon buns are consistently good everytime and anytime. Make them on a lazy Saturday afternoon. If you're pressed for time you can always take the express route to cinnamon heaven with 90 Minute Cinnamon Rolls.
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- 1 c. buttermilk (or you can use 1 Tbsp. vinegar + 15 Tbsp. milk)
Filling and Topping:
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1. Mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, salt and vanilla.
3. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
4. Mix 1/2 of the buttermilk into the wet ingredients.
5. Mix 1/3 of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
6. Mix the remaining buttermilk into the wet ingredients.
7. Mix 1/3 the remaining dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
8. Mix the brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
9. Pour 1/3 of the batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.
10. Pour 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture on top.
11. Pour 1/3 of the batter on top.
12. Pour 1/3 of the cinnamon mixture on top.
13. Pour the remaining batter on top.
14. Pour the remaining cinnamon mixture on top.
15. Preheat oven to 350F. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
If you're a scrapbooking enthusiast, hobbyist or wannabe you will love tomorrow's giveaway competition from My Memories, maker of the no. 1 rated My Memories Suite. I've always admired the scrapbooking talent of Gina and I have been inspired to give scrapbooking a try. I have like 30+ years worth of photos to scrapbook. Good thing scrapbooking has gone digital!
Please check out tomorrow's giveaway. The kind folks at My Memories will be giving away My Memories Suite Version 2.0 software download to two lucky readers.