Tuesday, September 13, 2011
Recipe: Homemade Easy Chinese Mooncakes
Mooncake is one of the treats that I look forward to eating this time of year. I just usually buy these delicious annual oriental treats from Chinese bakeries but this year I wanted to make my very own mooncakes from whatever recipe I can find on the web. I can't be bothered making red bean paste filling so I was delighted when I found this recipe from DLTK. You can just actually use strawberry jam filling or fruit and nuts instead of red bean or lotus paste. I'm re-posting Shirly's recipe here:
Easy Chinese Mooncakes
1/4 cup sugar
2 egg yolks
1/2 cup salted butter
1 cup all purpose flour
Strawberry jam or red bean paste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F degrees.
2. Cream butter, sugar and egg yolk. Stir in flour.
3. Mix well and form one big ball of dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
4. Unwrap chilled dough and make dough balls. Make a thumb hole on each piece of mooncake. Fill with strawberry jam, red bean paste or fruits and nuts.
5. Brush cakes with the remaining eggyolk.
6. Bake until edges are golden brown.