This is one of my favorite coffee and tea time cakes. It's irresistibly crumbly and big on flavor!
Date and Cinnamon Spiced Coffee Cake
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups pitted dates, finely chopped
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 300 F.
2. Line a round or a spring form pan with parchment. Set aside.
3. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl. Dredge dates thoroughly in the flour mixture. Set aside.
4.In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar on high until thick and pale yellow. Lower speed and gradually pour melted butter. Fold in flour with dates mixture on low speed until blended. Pour into lined pan.
5. To make the topping, blend flour, cinnamon, baking soda and sugar. Add butter and mix with a wooden spoon. Fold in chopped walnuts. Scatter topping mixture over the batter's surface.
6. Bake for 50-55 minutes until golden and top is set.
7. Let cool completely before unmolding.
Recipe from Celebrations by Sharon Baking Favorites