There's nothing like a light, delicious cake to celebrate the start of summer. Here's my favorite recipe for Strawberry Cream Cake. Hope you give it a try.
Strawberry Cream Cake
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp strawberry jam
- simple sugar syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream sugar and butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
3. Combine flour and baking powder. Stir in milk and combine.
4. Pour into 9x9 round pan and swirl 3 tablespoons of strawberry jam on the surface of the batter. Bake in a 350F oven for 40-50 minutes.
Stabilized whipped cream icing:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tsp gelatin
- 2 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
2. Dissolve gelatin by microwaving for 3 minutes, stirring after every minute. Remove from microwave and let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes; gelatin must be liquid but not warm when added to cream.
3. In a chilled bowl, pour in cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat together just until beater marks begin to show distinctly.
Add gelatin mixture to cream, pouring in a steady stream while beating constantly. Beat until stiff peaks form. Use immediately.
Simple sugar syrup:
- 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup white sugar
Garnish: Sliced strawberries
1. Cut round cake in half.
2. Brush simple syrup on top of the first layer and spread a generous amount of whipped cream icing on the surface. Arrange thin slices of strawberry on the surface.
3. Top with second layer and frost sides and surface of the cake. Decorate cake with whipped cream flourishes using pastry tip. Garnish with sliced strawberry pieces.