I love Madeleine cookies. They are portable, little sponge cakes that are just perfect with hot cocoa, tea or coffee. Dip the tips of baked Madeleines into melted chocolate for an indulgent treat.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp lemon zest
1. Preheat oven to 200F. Grease Madeleine pan with oil and light coating of flour. Melt the butter and allow to cool.
2. In a small bowl, beat eggs and sugar with electric mixer. Beat the mixture until it has tripled in volume and it forms a thick ribbon when the beater is lifted. Add the vanilla and blend well. Add lemon zest.
3. Sift a small amount of flour over the egg mixture and using a large rubber spatula, fold the flour mixture into the beaten eggs to lighten. Sift the rest of the flour over the egg mixture and fold in making sure not to ever mix or the batter will deflate.
4. Pour batter into Madeleine pan (1/2 full).