Recipe: Streusel-Crumb Coffee Cake
STREUSEL-CRUMB COFFEE CAKE
Coffee time is more delicious with homebaked treats on hand. This Streusel-Crumb Coffee Cake recipe from the Starbucks Passion for Coffee cookbook is guaranteed to delight any coffee and cake lover.
For the streusel:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 up unsalted butter, melted
For the cake:
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour a 10-inch tube pan, a 9 inch springform pan or an 8-inch square baking pan.
2. To make the streusel, in a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, cardamon and melted butter. Blend well and set aside.
3. To make teh cake, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a big bowl. Add the butter, eggs, vanilla and milk. Beat vigorously until smooth and quite thick, about 1 minute.
4. Spread half of the batter in the prepared pan and sprinkle with half of the streusel mixture. Spoon the remaining batter over the streusel, then top with the remaining streusel. Bake until a wood toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool about 20 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan.