I can't tell you how much I adore Jill O'Connor's Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey Treats for Kids Cookbook! It's such a sweet, pretty recipe book (I love the scrapbook inspired design) with lots of lovely, easy to make recipes. This Holy Moly Strawberry Jam Roly-Poly recipe is one of my faves!
HOLY MOLY! STRAWBERRY JAM ROLY-POLY
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 sticks butter
- 2/3 cup ice water
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
- 1 tbsp whole milk for brushing
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and 2 tbsp sugar.
3. Grate frozen butter into flour mixture using large whole grater. Stir ice water into flour until a soft, shaggy consistency is achieved.
4. Transfer dough into lightly floured board. Gently knead but do not allow butter to melt.
5. Rub dough with rolling pin on a flat surface light;y sprinkled with flour. Make a 9 by 13 inch rectangle.
6. Spread strawberry jam over the dough leaving 1 inch border on all sides. Roll pastry like a jelly roll, careful not to let the jam seep out. Pinch ends of dough to seal jam inside.
7. Brush dough with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
8. Bake at 350F until lightly brown and jam are bubbling out at the ends.