Recipe: Pfeffernüssen (German Spice Cookies)
Touted as Santa's favorite cookie, Pfeffernüsse is a traditional German holiday treat that's both delicious and easy to make. Enjoy it with coffee, tea or your favorite holiday drinks.
Pfeffernüssen (German Spice Cookies)
(Recipe from Martha Stewart)
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Place the confectioner's sugar in a brown paper bag.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Place butter, brown sugar and molasses in the bowl of the electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until fluffy about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture until combined. Pinch off dough in tablespoon amounts and roll into ball.
4. Bake until cookies are golden and firm with slight cracking about 15 minutes, rotating sheets halfway through. Transfer sheets to a wire rack to cool slightly about 10 minutes. Place cookies in paper bag and shake until cookies are well coated. Store in airtight container.