Purple yam or ube as it is called in the Philippines is one of my favorite flavors ever. Ube lends itself to a wide variety of delectable cakes and desserts such as ube macapuno cake, rice cakes, candies, milk shakes and even ice cream. Purple yam also has such a pretty color! So quite in sync with this year's fashionable pantone color Radiant Orchid.
Ube or purple yam jam (love how that sounds!), the star ingredient in this recipe is readily available in Asian specialty stores.
PURPLE YAM JAM CUPCAKE RECIPE
- Vanilla cupcake base
- Bottled purple yam/ube jam
- Purple yam/ube flavored coloring
- White sprinkles
Vanilla cupcake base
- 1 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Mix flour, baking powder, and salt. Beat in butter gradually.
2. Beat in sugar and mix thoroughly. Beat in eggs, then vanilla and milk. Beat just until mixed.
3. To make jam filled cupcakes, pour half of the cupcake batter onto cupcake liners. Add a dollop of ube jam. Add another layer of batter to cover. Be careful to keep the cupcake liner only 3/4 full.
4. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out almost clean.
Purple yam/Ube buttercream recipe
- 1 stick butter
- 1 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- Ube flavored coloring
- Ube jam (1/2 tsp per cupcake)
2. Pipe a dollop of ube jam in the middle.
3. Spread or pipe ube buttercream on the cupcake. Decorate with sprinkles.