Recipe: Gingerbread Boys and Girls (and Babies)
Happy New Year everyone! May 2015 bring us lots of craft, creativity and inspiration.
Here's a belated holiday post. It's another gingerbread recipe to add to your holiday baking repertoire. The recipe is from Paula Deen and its the most ginger-ful cookie I've ever tasted. Very wonderful.
GINGERBREAD BOYS AND GIRLS (AND BABIES)
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 stick butter or margarine, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour plus more for dusting work surface
- 2 tsps. ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsps baking soda 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar, sifted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring, as desired
1. Using an electric mixer at low speed, cream the sugar and butter until well combined. Add the eggs and molasses and mix until combined. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and combine with a spoon or spatula.
2. Remove the dough from the bowl and wrap in plastic wrap and chill until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
4. Roll out dough and cut with gingerbread man cookie cutter. Bake until done.
5. Decorate with royal icing.