Recipe: Turtle Brownies
I'll start the baking bucketlist for the year with this delicious and satisfying brownie variant--the sticky, gooey and oh so chocolatey Turtle Brownie. I've adapted the recipe from Epicurious and the result is just as amazing!
TURTLE BROWNIES RECIPE
- 3/4 cup plus
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups pecans (6 oz)
Garnish: mini chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover a 9-inch square metal baking pan with aluminum foil. Lightly grease with butter.
2. To make brownie layer,whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl.
3. Melt chocolate and butter in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth, then remove from heat. Cool to lukewarm, then stir in brown sugar and vanilla. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating with a wooden spoon after each addition until mixture is glossy and smooth. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined.
4. Spread batter evenly in baking pan and bake in middle of oven until a tester comes out clean, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a rack.
5. To maker caramel-pecan layer, bring sugar, corn syrup, water, and a pinch of salt to a boil in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved, then boil, without stirring, until mixture turns a golden caramel color, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully add cream and vanilla (mixture will bubble and steam). Stir in pecans and immediately pour over brownie layer, spreading evenly. Sprinkle mini chocolate chips evenly. Let cool completely before cutting into squares.